Important: When driving to the center, please respect the Crestone community by using the directions given below. Please do not use directions given by Google Maps, GPS services, etc., as these routes will take you through quiet residential neighborhoods.
- We suggest that you fly into Denver International Airport (DEN), which is a four-hour drive from Crestone.
- We can provide a list of people flying into Denver who are interested in carpooling/sharing the cost of a car rental.
- There are also ground transportation options aside from car rentals available from the Denver airport. Please see the general information below.
GETTING FROM DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TO BLAZING MOUNTAIN
Click here for a printable version of the driving directions.
Directions from Denver International Airport
- Take Pena Blvd South/West for about 10 miles, until it merges into I-70 West.
- Take I-70 West for about 25 miles.
- Merge onto CO-470 E via Exit 260 toward Colorado Springs, and go 5.7 miles.
- Merge onto US-285 South toward Fairplay.
- Take 285 South through Fairplay, through Johnson Village, SOUTH, on 285 through Villa Grove (about 150 miles).
- After passing through Villa Grove watch for a turnoff from 285 to RT 17 on your Left. Take RT 17 through Moffat.
- As you are about to pass the southern end of Mofat look for a small sign for Crestone. You will turn Left on T Road heading East towards Crestone.
In order to minimize traffic disturbance in the neighborhood surrounding the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center, please use the routes described below. Keep in mind that Crestone is a community that values quiet and slowness. The roads are shared by pedestrians, cyclists, elk, coyotes, (even at night), so it is very important to be alert and aware when driving in Crestone.
Step 1: Book your flight so you arrive in Denver by 10:45 am
Step 2: Light rail from DIA to downtown Denver
Trains every 10-15 minutes. Take A line to travel between the airport and the Denver Amtrak train/bus station (Union Station). Schedule information can be found here: Denver RTD. Pay cash or credit card, $9, just before you board.
Step 3: Bustang/Alpine Express from Denver to Salida
Once per day, leaves at 1:55 pm and arrives in Salida at 5:05 pm (Connect w/ Pueblo to Alamosa bus in Salida)
Bustang Service run by Alpine Express runs a bus that travels daily from the downtown Denver Amtrak Station (Union Station) to Salida. Tickets are not available for advanced purchase. Please be prepared to pay $29 cash when you board the bus. Look for the gate at Union Station that says “Bus to Gunnison.”
Step 4: Bustang/Outrider from Salida to Moffat
Leaves at 5:05 pm and Arrives in Moffat at 6:08 pm
Tickets can be purchased with cash only, $7. You will find this bus at the same station in Salida where you are dropped off. Currently, it is not possible to make a reservation for this bus.
Step 5: Moffat Shuttle to Blazing Mountain Retreat Center
Moffat is a small town just down the road from Crestone. We have a volunteer who can pick you up and drive you to the retreat center.
For the return trip from Crestone to the Denver airport, please reverse the steps and travel above. The Moffat Shuttle leaves early for the return trip at around 6:00 am to get you to Moffat to catch the bus at 6:45 am. Your outbound flight from DIA should not leave before 1:30 pm.