Our Vision – Growing Compassion
The Way of Compassion Dharma Center is the first of its kind in the Roaring Fork Valley. It is a gathering place for Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike to listen to, study, and meditate on the teachings of the Buddha that are practical and accessible. As a traditional center, we never charge for the Dharma and offer all of our teachings on a donation basis.
Our big vision is to establish a compassion institute and retreat center in the Western Slope of Colorado. A center dedicated to the study and practice of compassion and wisdom and open to different religious, spiritual, and scientific organizations.
We envision a center able to host:
- Youth Camps
- Group and Individual Retreats
- Interfaith and Scientific Seminars
- Recovery Trainings and Retreats
To bring this vision to life, we are taking a phased approach:
Phase One: Develop our current programs in ways that meet the needs of communities we serve and ensure they are on sound and sustainable financial ground.
Raise $65,000 to cover the 2022 operating budget. This will allow us to have all of our normal operating expenses covered so we can focus on developing and growing our current programs:
- Dharma Center: In addition to our regular teachings, we have an online community with resources, teachings, and morning practice posted daily. We are adding more regular half-day retreats and two residental retreats. We are currently developing self-paced online courses covering all of the fundamentals of Buddhism, the practical application of Buddhist teachings for non-Buddhists, and daily practices.
- Compassion Film Festival®: Due to the amazing efforts of many volunteers and the guidance of Aaron Taylor, we have now hosted 4 annual festivals and several quarter events. We want to continue this synthesis of compassionate people, ideas, organizations, and activites. We hope to create a paid position to grow and manage the festival and host year-round events.
- Recovery Resources: As the pandemic struck, the need to support people struggling with both addiction and recovery, as well as their family and friends grew exponentially. We were able to host online events, workshops, develop an online course, all offered on a donation basis. We plan to collaborate with professionals in the healthcare field to provide a wide range of resources and support regardless of anyone’s ability to pay.
Phase Two: After completing phase one, we will have programs that have a meaningful impact on the world and are financially sustainable. We will then establish a committee to explore the feasibility of the compassion institute and retreat center, develop a business plan, budget, and offer proposed steps and funding strategies. Every journey begins with the first step and every vision comes to life through the efforts of many.
We invite you to join us! If this vision speaks to you, help us bring it to life.
Supporting Our Vision
You can make a one-time or recurring tax-deductible donation using the donation button below. We are deeply grateful for your support.
You can also make a tax-deductible donation by check:
Way of Compassion Foundation
520 S. 3rd Street, Suite 12
Carbondale, CO 81623
Together we can grow and nurture the seeds of compassion and wisdom in our communities and worldwide.